Starting in the sport (UK)
Dan Vesma
2004-06-06 18:51:19 UTC
I went to a demonstration today, and I did rather get the bug. Have
been looking for a hobby that would get me into the countryside, and
if I could get some good meat for the pot, so much the better.

I can't really find any FAQs online. I may be looking in the wrong
places I guess.

Would you mind answering a few questions? I'm very happy to take my
time in making this decision, I don't want to get involved if I'm not
going to be able to be fair to my bird.

I'd like to hunt rabbits, but the idea of keeping an owl also
interests me.

1 - Do owls require less husbandry than hawkes?
2 - How much countryside do you need access to?
3 - How regularly do birds need to be flown? Weekly? Daily? More?
4 - Other than somewhere for it to live, what are the setup costs?
5 - How much would it cost to make my Dicovery ('93 3-Door) suitable
to carry a bird to fly in the country?
6 - Are there only certain times of year when you can hunt?
7 - Are small birds easier to accedently kill than bigger birds?
8 - Should you buy a baby and train or should you buy an adult bird
(is that possible?)
9 - Are the 3/5 day courses run by places like the National Birds of
Prey Centre enough to buy a bird or not?

Thanks for any help.

Daniel Vesma
Gloucester[/flipv]
Steven
2004-06-08 20:49:24 UTC
Hi Dan,

I have written my answers to your question directly beneath your question.
Post by Dan Vesma
I went to a demonstration today, and I did rather get the bug. Have
been looking for a hobby that would get me into the countryside, and
if I could get some good meat for the pot, so much the better.
'Real' Falconry is very different to what you saw at the demonstration, most
demo's are merely an insight into the basic training of a Bird of Prey.
There are lots of other 'sports' and pasttimes which are easier dont require
high maintenance animals to care for and still get you into the country side
if thats all you want.
Post by Dan Vesma
I can't really find any FAQs online. I may be looking in the wrong
places I guess.
There are lots of websites out there a Google search should turn up loads,
as well as the yahoo Falconry groups, and club websites like the British
Falconers Club.
A first port of call is the IBR, www.ibr.org.uk get there directory its full
of useful information and club contact details, you really should try and
join a local club as soon as possible, as well as answering all your
questions the members will point you in the right direction. The website
www.falconers.com is also a great source of information.
Post by Dan Vesma
Would you mind answering a few questions? I'm very happy to take my
time in making this decision, I don't want to get involved if I'm not
going to be able to be fair to my bird.
Falconry is a huge commitment and I can only suggest spending a season with
a Falconer or attending club Field meets to see if the sport is for you.
Post by Dan Vesma
I'd like to hunt rabbits, but the idea of keeping an owl also
interests me.
Owls are not Falconry birds, if you want to hunt Rabbits your best choices
are a Male Redtailed Hawk or Female Harris Hawk.
Post by Dan Vesma
1 - Do owls require less husbandry than hawkes?
No they dont, but many Owls are confined to avairies and live terrible
lives, I've never seen the interest in Owl keeping but each to there own,
unfortunately many Hawks are kept in the same way by would-be-falconers.
Post by Dan Vesma
2 - How much countryside do you need access to?
As much as possible ideally a couple of thousand acres with lots of bunnies
if Rabbit Hawking is to be your sport.
Post by Dan Vesma
3 - How regularly do birds need to be flown? Weekly? Daily? More?
As much as possible, while some are only flown at weekends the birds wont be
as good as those flown nearly everyday, but all require excercise every day
through the hunting season, things such as jump ups and restrained pursuits
can keep the hawk in shape when hawking isnt possible.
Post by Dan Vesma
4 - Other than somewhere for it to live, what are the setup costs?
The avairy/mews is going to be a great outlay (from a couple of hundred to
thousands depending on your budget and DIY skills) and take up at least
10x12 feet of your garden. You will need the bird around £500, Telemetry
about £600, Hawking vest/bags. jesses, swivels, baths, whistles, knives,
leather, hoods, leashes, bow perches, first aid kits costing around £200 if
you pick up bargains.
Post by Dan Vesma
5 - How much would it cost to make my Dicovery ('93 3-Door) suitable
to carry a bird to fly in the country?
Just the cost of a travelling box (giant hood as our American friends call
them) either £20 if you build your own or about £90 if you go for a ready
made plastic one.
Post by Dan Vesma
6 - Are there only certain times of year when you can hunt?
Rabbits in theory can be hunted all year round though I dont, catching baby
bunnies is no fun, and Harris Hawks (which I fly) are great on Pheasants and
dont know they are out of season, most hunt from September/October to
February/March, which works out nicely as the spring/summer months are spent
moulting by the hawk, if you fly at this time you also risk breaking
feathers in blood.
Post by Dan Vesma
7 - Are small birds easier to accedently kill than bigger birds?
Yes mistakes can easily occur with smaller hawks and the smaller birds such
as Spars and Merlins are not for the beginner, birds like Kestrals are not
really Falconry birds, I'm sure by 'meat for the pot' you dont mean mice!
Post by Dan Vesma
8 - Should you buy a baby and train or should you buy an adult bird
(is that possible?)
You want to be getting a bird of the year parent reared at between 16-20
weeks depending on the species, I would advise you stayed clear of older
birds being sold, they are usually someone elses mistake they wish to get
rid of with the excuse of 'work forces sale' etc.
Post by Dan Vesma
9 - Are the 3/5 day courses run by places like the National Birds of
Prey Centre enough to buy a bird or not?
I dont advise courses, yet to hear of a good one, your best bet is to buy a
few books, Nick Foxs' Understanding Birds of Prey, Martins Hollinshead's The
Complete Rabbit and Hare Hawk, and Phillip Glasiers Falconry and Hawking are
all great books and readily available through places like Amazon. This wont
equip you alone you ideally need a mentor and joining a club is the best way
to find one.
Post by Dan Vesma
Thanks for any help.
Not at all good luck on your quest.

Steve.
Len
2004-06-25 19:14:08 UTC
Hi Dan.
Three years ago, my son was 13 when he bought his first Harris' hawk from
his friend's dad who bred them. We lived in Salford then, not ideal for
flying birds of prey, but I'll tell you my experience since then.
I got involved in the same way any parent would and began by helping to
train the bird, (just like KES). Eventually it was me who took the bird for
a walk each day along a bit of 'green belt', and it behaved just like a dog;
coming when called, following me and even finding me when it had got lost.
It taught itself to hunt squirrels and pigeons and then, after we moved to
near Cumbria, it developed a taste for rabbits as there are so many around
here. It is a fantastic way to unwind and see the countryside each day. I
can't recommend highly enough becomimg a falconer (austringer). There are
loads of people to get advice from, the IBR being one of the best. Most
fellow falconers will help you if you have problems. It really isn't that
difficult, especially with a bird like a Harris. (Some people say they lull
you into a false sense of security as they are so easy to train). Last year
I bought a peregrine/aker and am enjoying the contrast and challenges that
this bird has given. I use a kite to fly it to 1000ft (with permission from
the CAA) and am amazed at the speed and agility of this bird. I haven't
managed to get this one hunting yet, but I will! I also acquired a red teal
buzzrd a couple of months ago. I had to train it to fly to the glove and
then to follow on. It has a mind of its own and will sit in a tree rather
than come to me, but what a superb hunter. It will get a rabbit each time I
take it out; going through hedges and wire fences. I have had to crawl
through hedges, over barbed wire, up trees etc, but it's been loads of fun.
Take the plunge. Don't worry too much about going on all the courses, they
are good, but you learn everything with your own bird. It really is mostly
about empathy and common sense. If you like animals, you will be ok. Get
some good books and read them, then make up your own mind, as there is a lot
of conflicting advice from so called experts.
Have fun,
Len Charnock
n***@nowhere.com
2004-09-07 12:39:07 UTC
Most of your questions have been answered and would just like to throw
a few more things into the pot.

You can't beat experience - it's worthwhile going on a course (if you
have the money). NBOPC is run by Jemima Parry Jones who is one of the
top austringers in the country and a course run by them I'm 100%
certain will be a good place to start. It helps to instill best
practice. Some books have been mentioned and I'd like to add the ones
by JPJ and Emma Ford (can't remember the names but just look on
amazon).

Like the comments already - join a club, they will help you if you
have problems, or, as in my case get to know a falconer at a local
centre (http://www.falconryscotland.co.uk) and offer yourself up as a
volunteer. To start with you'll be mucking out but you get to see
what goes on behind the scenes, and someone to teach you. This will
give you a taster. Most centre's will have handling sessions or
hunting (if you don't want to do a full blown course) to give a
taster.

The books I've recommended will answer pretty much answer every
question you have other than the above.

Good luck

Paul Morris