Kestrel? chick
Bob Powell
2004-06-21 15:28:16 UTC
A while ago my daughter found a raptor fledgeling in the middle of the
road. I think it's a Kestrel but could be a red-backed Kite. I don't
know a lot about birds.

There was a bungh of feathers on the ground near it and I think this
was the remains of the parent. Anyway my daughter brought the bird
home.

It feeds well on fresh steak and is quite healthy and is now loosing
all its down and the flight feathers are well developed. It can glide
from place to place but makes no active effort to fly.

We're pretty much resigned to the fact that we need to teach it to
hunt even if it becomes a sort of pet.

Where can I get information on doing this. I'm afraid that if it
learns to fly before we teach it to feed itself it might fly off and
starve to death.
Andrea Chen
2004-06-21 22:43:14 UTC
Post by Bob Powell
Where can I get information on doing this. I'm afraid that if it
learns to fly before we teach it to feed itself it might fly off and
starve to death.
Hi Bob, if it's a kestrel or other small raptor, first thing you must
do is buy some mice and maybe some crickets. If you can trap
sparrows, do so. Those are much better foods than steak especially
for a bird that has enough feathers to glide. Whole stuff, including
guts, feathers and bones, are essential to a raptor's diet. Steak
alone will eventually kill it.

My second piece of advise is to take it to a) a falconer or falconry
club b) a humane society. I don't know where you are so I can't make
any recommendations, but as you mention red kites I assume you are in
Wales or at least in the UK somewhere. Try the Welsh hawking club
http://www.WelshHawkingClub.com
Mike Clowes, Secretary
10 Birthorpe Road
Billingborough
Nr. Sleaford
Lincs NG34 OQS
Phone: Mike Clowes on 01529 240443
Phone: David Jones on 01934 811300
Hopefully these are not out of date.

If you intend to keep it make sure it is legal for you to do so. And
get the good food for it. You can get it to practice flying by
putting the food up in a place where it can see it but it will have to
fly to get to it. Later when it builds up some muscle and more
feather you can try getting it to catch live things on the ground.
Crickets will not move too fast but mice you may have to put on a
string to slow it down. Now, this advice is for if you want to
release it back to the wild. If you keep it, you want to train it to
come to you instead. You will need to buy a scale for sure. I
encourage you to get in touch with a real falconer for advice. I
don't know of a book that will tell you much but then again I do not
know everything.
Good luck
-andrea-
Andrea Chen
2004-06-21 22:55:03 UTC
Post by Bob Powell
Where can I get information on doing this. I'm afraid that if it
learns to fly before we teach it to feed itself it might fly off and
starve to death.
Also check my website
www.fallinghawks.com

Click on the FAQ on the left-hand menu. Scroll down on the right-hand
menu to the bottom for other falconry clubs in the UK.

It will be important to keep that bird tethered. String shoelaces will
work only temporarily since kestrels tend to chew on jesses. Leather is
best. I will try to get a diagram on my website for actual-size kestrel
jesses. They will be traditional jesses (as opposed to alymeri). I'll
post again when I have it there. You will attach the other end of the
jesses to a small swivel, and the other end of the swivel to a leash.

You will also want to find a wide flat container for bathing. Swipe your
wife's 8x8" baking pan or a tupperware dish 2" tall.

-andrea-
austringer -at- spamcop -dot- net