willing to hunt down spammers
newbie
2004-04-30 05:40:04 UTC
hi,
what would be some things we could do here, to get rid of the spam? i want
to learn about falconry
thanks
bgw
Andrea Chen
2004-05-03 01:03:10 UTC
Post by newbie
hi,
what would be some things we could do here, to get rid of the spam? i want
to learn about falconry
BGW:
If you're reading news from your local server, you can get NewsAgent
(free) and that can help. Different ISPs also have different levels
of effectiveness in terms of keeping spam off their news server,
though changing ISPs is a bit more of a drastic move. I'd recommend
just reading news through Google, which tends to be fairly clean.

If you actually want to hunt down spammers as you say in your subject
line:
- learn how to display messagess with their full headers.
- get an account with Spamcop.net . They have a parser to read both
the headers (the source of the spam) as well as the message content
(for spamvertised websites) and will report to the ISPs involved.
- post spam messages with their headers in
news.admin.net-abuse.sightings. (nanas is a moderated group and
accepts posts only if there is the word [usenet] or [email] (with the
square brackets) to indicate where the spam was received.)
- become aware of the concept of "joe job". An example of a joe-job
are the recent set of far left posts that include links to Nader's
website. Nader's website is not the source of these messages. They
are being posted by someone who's trying to give trouble to Nader.
Discussions of job jobs (amongst many other things) happen in
news.admin.net-abuse.email and news.admin.net-abuse.usenet. That way
you can stay apprised of what is real and what isn't.

If you have questions about falconry -- ask! There are a few people
here and we are happy to help. Search for falconry websites, too,
there's a lot out there.

-andrea-